Apocalyptic Post Blog
Musings on the Apocalypse since 2009
The Apocalyptic Post my first themed blog – I was really into (and still am!) the Post Apocalyptic and dystopian genre! I covered quite broad spectrum of this theme including: art, film, science, technology, real estate, survival guides and much more. This blog began in 2009, and was a blogger hosted site on the domain domain ApocalypticPost.com. I have since redirected that domain here, including all comments! I have not actively contributed to this blog for a few years, however, it was the inspiration for an apocalyptic beer we did with Outlier Cartel in New Zealand.
Please note – there are several broken links and missing images. The many earlier videos posted on here have gone to the ether, but I have done my best to find facsimiles of them. You may find some of the missing media by looking going to the apocalyptic post archive.org page.
From the original ‘About’ page:
What’s so bad about the end of the world? There has been a tremendous interest in the post apocalyptic genre over the past 10 years and it doesn’t look like this trend will slow down anytime soon. Being interested in impending doom is not necessarily a bad thing, that is why I created this blog.
First of all, it forces us face the music. Whether it is climate change or nuclear annihilation, by peeking through the post apocalyptic looking-glass, the worst case scenarios are revealed to us. It is by acknowledging these outcomes that we can find solutions to make our world a better place to live.
Secondly, necessity is the mother of invention. Some of the greatest achievements of mankind have been done during the ‘sturm und drang’ of war and catastrophes. German wartime rockets led to founding of the space exploration. Even today’s Internet originated from ARPANET, which in turn was designed to help the military against nuclear attacks. The real possibility of human annihilation has led to improvement many aspects of our lives today.
Finally, post apocalyptic-ism is a type of escapism. It allows us to start with a clean slate; a world destroyed also means another world can be born. Ancients legend of Ragnarök and the visions of Saint John on Patmos give us a picture of a new earth purged from all the atrocious aspects of humanity. Post apocalyptic-ism gives us a fresh start.
So in the end, my love of the post apocalyptic genre is that it merges both bleak reality of a defective world with the potential for all of us to reach loftiest heights to what it means to be human.
- New York after the Apocalypse: The Art of Alex Lucas (7/16/2009) - Alex Lucas paintings depict New York under water – very interesting stuff, click here or the image below:
- The Seed Vault in Svalbard – your last hope for veggie burgers after the Apocalyse (7/14/2009) - These days Vikings are pillaging the world’s seed supply (with the approval of all nations) so the world can replenish its plant life in case the of its annihilation here on earth. Read more here: http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=seeds-of-future-agriculture-enter-doomsday-deep-freeze A barren, treeless island in the Arctic archipelago of Svalbard may prove to be the last, best hope of […]
- Those Fabulous Fallout Shelters (7/13/2009) - Don’t let a little radiation get ya down? Just mosey on down to your local fallout shelter – its just like home! check these great scan from The Ward O Matic website and also the screenshots from Popular Science from December 1961 found on google books. Enjoy! From the Ward o Matic Website From the […]
- Post Apocalypse Now – Current Abandoned Cities via Opacity.com (7/13/2009) - Here’s a great site to view what could happen after the Apocalypse – Opacity.com. Here are beautiful photos of abandoned factories, miltary installations, mental institutions and more. A small preview below: Peenemünde is a small German village located on Usedom island on the Northern coast of Germany, and was selected to become a rocket proving […]
- Make money while God takes his chosen people! (7/12/2009) - The Apocalypse got you down? Need to make a spare buck or two now that all your rich Christian friends have been given a free ride to heaven? Well despair now longer, we have a book for you! Taking on the religious, political and consumer force of the modern End Times movement, comic authors Weiner […]
- Surviving in an warmer, post apocalyptic world (7/12/2009) - Click the blue markers to read more about what will happen in the regions when the world gets a bit warmer: Click here for the entire article (excerpt below) ALLIGATORS basking off the English coast; a vast Brazilian desert; the mythical lost cities of Saigon, New Orleans, Venice and Mumbai; and 90 per cent of […]
- Georgia Guidestones – The America Commandments for living a Post Apocalyptic Earth (7/12/2009) - If you are feeling a bit lost after the apocalypse, why not mosey on over the Georgia in the United States and see the Georgia Guidestones? Often called the America Stonehenge, these huge slabs of granite contain 10 messages in whole heap of languages if your mother tongue isn’t English. Blow is the first page […]
- Vault Dweller Survival Guide (7/11/2009) - This is from the Fallout 3 Game from Bethesda, it has some humorous thought of how to survive the Post Apocalytpic Wasteland. View online here, or download the pdf here.
- The Post Apocalyptic Fitness Plan (7/11/2009) - Lets face it: If you ain’t fit after the Apocalypse, you ain’t gonna last long. Thats where the Post Apocalyptic Workout will help. Physical Goals (detailed here) 1. Increase endurance/running ability. 2. Increase/build base of strength. 3. Increase sprints/biking. SKILL GOALS: 1. Basic First Aid/CPR (Infant, Child, Adult) 2. Veterinary First Aid READING LIST: 1. […]
- Post Apocalyptic Vehicles in the Movies (7/11/2009) - Earlier we reviewed real post apocalyptic assault vehicles from jalopnik, today I bring you a post about fictional movie post apocalyptic vehicles from the telegraph.co.uk. Here’s the list: Terminator Salvation Motorcycle: The Fifth Element Taxi Mad Max: Road Warrior Tanker Truck Mad Max Ford Falcon Jericho PlymouthRoad Runner I am Legend Ford Shelby Death Race […]
- Post Apocalyptic London from Hellgate (7/11/2009) - This is found on the http://hellgate.incgamers.com gallery, inspired by the game Hellgate: London found via Digg.
- Oryx and Crake Post Apocalyptic Book (7/11/2009) - From Margaret Atwood, the writer of the Handmaids Tale, is a book that is in the Post Apocalyptic Future. Here is a book review from Zarin Rafiuddin of the daily star: IMAGINE that you are the last remaining human in the world. What would you do? How can you survive? How can you stop yourself […]
- Lisbon after the Apocalypse (7/10/2009) - Kenn Brown is a fantastic artist – he did work for World Without US – Below are some images that he’s done. Below is Lisbon, after the Apocalypse. Here are a few other samples of his work via zegarkus:
- Detroit diving deep into Post Apocalyptia (7/9/2009) - What happens when a metrotropolis turns into a failopolis? You let the mercenary groups take over of course! Here’s a an interesting story from ‘www.conspiracyplanet.com’that sounds like its right of some Hollywood Post Apocalypic Story line (found here via here): (7-6-09) Here’s a glimpse of a Turn Key Approach to Urban Wasteland Management (TM)for aspiring […]
- Tokyo After the Apocalypse (7/9/2009) - Tokyo just can’t catch a break. First there was Godzilla, now there is artist Hisaharu Motoda who depicts Tokyo in some breathtaking ruins. If you can wrap your head around that image, then you’ve got an idea of what Japanese artist Hisaharu Motoda conveys in his series of Neo-Ruins lithographs: exceptionally detailed, vivid representations of […]