Apocalyptic Post Blog
Musings on the Apocalypse since 2009
The Apocalyptic Post my first themed blog – I was really into (and still am!) the Post Apocalyptic and dystopian genre! I covered quite broad spectrum of this theme including: art, film, science, technology, real estate, survival guides and much more. This blog began in 2009, and was a blogger hosted site on the domain domain ApocalypticPost.com. I have since redirected that domain here, including all comments! I have not actively contributed to this blog for a few years, however, it was the inspiration for an apocalyptic beer we did with Outlier Cartel in New Zealand.
Please note – there are several broken links and missing images. The many earlier videos posted on here have gone to the ether, but I have done my best to find facsimiles of them. You may find some of the missing media by looking going to the apocalyptic post archive.org page.
From the original ‘About’ page:
What’s so bad about the end of the world? There has been a tremendous interest in the post apocalyptic genre over the past 10 years and it doesn’t look like this trend will slow down anytime soon. Being interested in impending doom is not necessarily a bad thing, that is why I created this blog.
First of all, it forces us face the music. Whether it is climate change or nuclear annihilation, by peeking through the post apocalyptic looking-glass, the worst case scenarios are revealed to us. It is by acknowledging these outcomes that we can find solutions to make our world a better place to live.
Secondly, necessity is the mother of invention. Some of the greatest achievements of mankind have been done during the ‘sturm und drang’ of war and catastrophes. German wartime rockets led to founding of the space exploration. Even today’s Internet originated from ARPANET, which in turn was designed to help the military against nuclear attacks. The real possibility of human annihilation has led to improvement many aspects of our lives today.
Finally, post apocalyptic-ism is a type of escapism. It allows us to start with a clean slate; a world destroyed also means another world can be born. Ancients legend of Ragnarök and the visions of Saint John on Patmos give us a picture of a new earth purged from all the atrocious aspects of humanity. Post apocalyptic-ism gives us a fresh start.
So in the end, my love of the post apocalyptic genre is that it merges both bleak reality of a defective world with the potential for all of us to reach loftiest heights to what it means to be human.
- London After the Apocalypse (7/9/2009) - Not everything about the ol’ Apocalypse is gloom ‘n doom. London actually looks quite chipper after the floods hit it. Here are some images by media studio Squint/Opera and a blurb: These images by media studio Squint/Opera imagine what the capital may look like after the apocalyptic event, but far from being scenes of tragic […]
- The Wasteland Graphic Novel, First Issue Free (7/9/2009) - To whet your Post Apocalyptic Apetite, the Oni Press folks are giving away a free download (as cbr file) of the first issue of ‘The Wasteland’ . Click here to download the Wasteland About this Series: 100 years after the Big Wet, Earth has been left a broken, infertile world of rock and sand. The […]
- Post Apocalyptic Comic Books / Graphic Novels (7/9/2009) - I’ve come across a couple of Post Apocalyptic graphic novels, even though I haven’t bought them, they look very cool. The first one I came across via: http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=7519 Here’s a blurb about it: “Wasteland,” the scorched-earth Oni Press series written by Antony Johnston and illustrated by Christopher Mitten, hits the 25-issue milestone in July, an […]
- Post Apocalyptic Maps (7/8/2009) - Post Apocalyptic maps are nothing new – but they did become popular in recent years with the ‘I am America’ map of earth changes in 1989. I’ve collected a few of the these earth changes/Post Apocalypic Maps for you to see what could be in store for us at the end times. The general cosensus […]
- Chernobyl Photos/Picture Resources (7/6/2009) - Here are some great photographic sources for Chernobyl Disaster. Most of the images are quite sad – but are a reminder of what its like to live a post apocalyptic world. Kiddospeed – this is best known and arguably the best resource – its a fascinating story about a motorcycle tour to the heart of […]
- Post Apocalyptic Assault Vehicles – (7/6/2009) - The meteor has fallen, plague has disperse or the nuke has land – so now how are you going to get around town. What you need is a post apocalyptic survival/assault vehicle. Jalopnik provides us with some wicked modes of transportation for dealing with the post-gridlock aftermath: Here’s a list of the Most Popular Vehicles […]
- Post Apocalyptic Furniture (7/5/2009) - Does your fallout shelter need a bit of a makeover? Check out these new interior designs dedicated to spice up your home after the big one falls: http://dornob.com/futuristic-furniture-post-apocalyptic-interior-design-idea/ These designed by Eduardo McIntosh
- Surviving the Apocalypse: A How to Guide (7/5/2009) - So you think you are ready for the Apocalypse. No, I don’t think so, at least you aren’t without visiting this site first: http://survivetheapocalypse.wordpress.com/category/post-apocalypse/ Here are some handy links to the site for you to get started: Get Clean Water Learn to trade in the post apocalyptic world Get a shotgun Get prepared for disease […]
- Getting your mail after the Rapture? (7/5/2009) - Today we have some ‘real’ apocalypse post, delivered by an atheist in Florida. As with the previous, this has to do with the rapture. Now some guy is delivering messages after the rapture. Read more here: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2009/jul/04/hes-post-rapture-message-service/ ORLANDO, Fla. – There are those who believe in the Rapture prophesied in the Bible. And there is […]
- Got Raptured? I’ll Walk your dog for you! (7/3/2009) - Those Rapture believin’ foks in the USA, you gotta love ’em. Amongst the fervent believers there is that they will ascend to Heaven in the alloted time, leaving us pesky non-believers holding the bag… or in this case, holding the leash? This article is from Sharon Glassman found on the huffington post: In my last […]
- Dystopian post-apocalyptic movies vs. dystopian post-apocalyptic reality (7/3/2009) - For those of you who like Tom Tommorow comics (I got into them years ago when they were printed in the flagpole magazine when I attended the university of georgia) – here’s an interesting twist on post apocalptia for you: This was taken from Salon
- The Apocalyptic Post – The 1st Post (7/3/2009) - Welcome to my corner of ‘Post Apocalyptia’ – I’ve started this blog as a way to ferret out all the great works of post apocalyptic art, news and humour that is out there. So why my interest in Post Apocalyptic stuff? I’ve always had a strong drawing to it – not necessarily about how the […]