New Zealand Photography
and some technology
Welcome – this sliver of the internet has been up since 2004, through various iterations of code, broken and fixed links, hacks, photographs and stories. Its part of my evolution as person. The opinions here are exclusively my own and are subject to evolve. If you want to know more about me – see the about page. This site includes all former personal blogs I have written including asylon.org, apocalypticpost.com, parahanga.com, kraxn.io, zegarkus.com, portwaikato.com, and vonnagy.blogspot.com.
Older versions of my sites can be found on archive.org
Latest Posts from NZ Photos
- Polanoid Shot of the Day (from May) (7/10/2023) - I recently checked the pretty much defunct polanoid.net site and realised I won another shot of the day (it was pretty prestigious in internet terms a long time ago). This was was taken at Pakiri Beach, the expired effects are the psychedelic swirls around the drift wood.
- UV ID Polaroid expire October 2009 – Shot March 2022 (3/14/2022) - I recently found the time to shoot some polaroids again. It was UV ID, expired in October 2009. They have been refrigerated, but unfortunately, that doesn’t always mean they will work. The medium tends to stick together, and it takes delicate and nimble fingers to resuscitate them. Out of a pack a of 10, only […]
- Trypt.am – Psychedelic Clinical Trials Database (2/28/2022) - At the beginning of the Covid pandemic in 2020, while in isolation, I decided to pick up programming again. I stopped programming as my daily job about 12 years ago. During isolation, I dabbled in a few new and old languages (Swift, Perl, Rust), but in the end I found that my old stomping grounds […]
- Polaroid shot of the day (11/4/2021) - It was a surprise to receive this email today: dear parahanga!!! please have a short look at the cover of polanoid.net [ http://www.polanoid.net/cover ] (http://www.polanoid.net/jump/?to=pictures&uid=13197&pid=385985) **CONGRATULATION** you have won the worldfamous ShotOfTheDay award! not only is your picture on the cover for the next 24 hours, generating endless fame and glory, but also you have […]
- How to Choose a Polaroid Camera (9/27/2020) - [Note – this was originally publish on Squidoo (now Hubpages) over 10 years ago. I’ve decided to move it as an effort to consolidate content content that I wrote. It was located here: https://hubpages.com/art/polaroid-camera-2 ] Its been sunny news lately for Polaroid – after going out business at the end of 2008, the Impossible Project has […]
- 17 years, 7 websites, 965 posts, to one domain. (9/24/2020) - Our internet lives can be incredibly spread out. This my story of my content and how and why I reeled it back to this domain. Ironically, I had moved away from WordPress over 10 years ago due to a vulnerability in WordPress plugin that hacked the commenting system. This plugin hack poisoned my website to […]
- Develop your own film (9/21/2020) - [Note: this was an unpublished article from Jan. 2015 I had on Hubpages, I’ve decided to go ahead and publish it here with a few minor corrections] Why not develop your own film? As an avid film photographer, I am quite happy to see rebirth of analogue photography such as Polaroids (see my related article […]
- Shooting Miniatures, a primer. (9/12/2020) - One of the great joys of taking photos is shooting outdoors, and even more so, seeing all the worlds it opens up. Sometimes you see rocks and landscapes create perfect tiny worlds, or as Blake said ‘To see a World in a Grain of Sand‘. Here are a few things that have helped me shoot […]
- The Kiki and the Google (9/8/2020) - This is a short story, or rather puzzle, that I recently rediscovered in an old children’s book. The book is the 1982 Childcraft Annual called the “Puzzle Book” published by World Book, Inc. The reason for this post is for the delicious use ‘Google’, 15 years before the company was formed. The Google business name […]
- Updates and Polanoid Shot of the Day winners. (8/18/2020) - This is the first post in a very long while! After migrating this site from blogger to self hosted system, I realised that I have many analoque images that I have not posted on Parahanga, they instead went to Flickr and Polanoid. While I have no issues with Flickr and Polanoid, I find it important […]