Apocalyptic Post Blog
Musings on the Apocalypse since 2009
The Apocalyptic Post my first themed blog – I was really into (and still am!) the Post Apocalyptic and dystopian genre! I covered quite broad spectrum of this theme including: art, film, science, technology, real estate, survival guides and much more. This blog began in 2009, and was a blogger hosted site on the domain domain ApocalypticPost.com. I have since redirected that domain here, including all comments! I have not actively contributed to this blog for a few years, however, it was the inspiration for an apocalyptic beer we did with Outlier Cartel in New Zealand.
Please note – there are several broken links and missing images. The many earlier videos posted on here have gone to the ether, but I have done my best to find facsimiles of them. You may find some of the missing media by looking going to the apocalyptic post archive.org page.
From the original ‘About’ page:
What’s so bad about the end of the world? There has been a tremendous interest in the post apocalyptic genre over the past 10 years and it doesn’t look like this trend will slow down anytime soon. Being interested in impending doom is not necessarily a bad thing, that is why I created this blog.
First of all, it forces us face the music. Whether it is climate change or nuclear annihilation, by peeking through the post apocalyptic looking-glass, the worst case scenarios are revealed to us. It is by acknowledging these outcomes that we can find solutions to make our world a better place to live.
Secondly, necessity is the mother of invention. Some of the greatest achievements of mankind have been done during the ‘sturm und drang’ of war and catastrophes. German wartime rockets led to founding of the space exploration. Even today’s Internet originated from ARPANET, which in turn was designed to help the military against nuclear attacks. The real possibility of human annihilation has led to improvement many aspects of our lives today.
Finally, post apocalyptic-ism is a type of escapism. It allows us to start with a clean slate; a world destroyed also means another world can be born. Ancients legend of Ragnarök and the visions of Saint John on Patmos give us a picture of a new earth purged from all the atrocious aspects of humanity. Post apocalyptic-ism gives us a fresh start.
So in the end, my love of the post apocalyptic genre is that it merges both bleak reality of a defective world with the potential for all of us to reach loftiest heights to what it means to be human.
- Zeitoun – The Apocalypse that Really Happened (8/28/2010) - A few months ago I came across this post by Schlow Reader about a Hurricane Katrina survivor named Zeitoun. The premise sounded interesting – Zeitoun, a Muslim American, decides to weather the storm in order to help out his neighbours. This book is an excellent read, is well researched and based on fact – but […]
- This Apocalypse ends with the Rain (6/17/2010) - Its 2039, and the barren wastes of Australia are flooded by watery Apocalypse. Fish are believed to be extinct; only rumours of their existence persist. So is it a miracle when a fish falls from sky in the middle of the outback, a day before a father will meet his son he abandoned at the […]
- Global Warming brings forth a Post Apocalyptic Future? (5/10/2010) - I am not here to argue about the validity of Global Warming – however it does make for great Post Apocalyptic Fodder. Check out this – I believe its a trailer for the 2008 movie ‘They will come to Town‘. See more here: http://www.somethingiscoming.de/
- Hodgepodge of recent Post Apocalyptic Links (5/7/2010) - Unfortunately I haven’t had time to write proper posts in while but here are some interesting links I’ve found in interesting in past month or so. Post Apocalyptic Fiction for Young Adults – Twenty Years Later is an online book – I haven’t read this yet but looks interesting. Watery Apocalypse – No not water world, […]
- Nuclear Coleslaw: Post Apocalptic Movie – Desert Story (5/7/2010) - Apologies for not posting in a while. Here is nice Youtube Post Apocalyptic Series – on that is based in the Fallout Game series world. A couple of new ones should be out soon, so check youtube user LastEscapePod for more. Its not a bad little clip, so enjoy!
- Post Apocalyptic Fashion on Etsy (3/11/2010) - Here are few examples of Post Apocalyptic Fashion on Etsy. Out with the bright and the colourful, in the with disheveled and functional!
- “Post Apocalyptic” Search Trends on Google – Does Scandinavia love the end of the world? (3/11/2010) - I just a quick lookup of the term ‘Post Apocalyptic’ on Google Trends – the term certainly has been on the increase the past couple of years: What I find interesting is the term is especially highly used for Scandinavian countries – perhaps they feel that Ragnarök is approaching? Perhaps it has something to do with […]
- Tupac Shakur and the End of the World – Short Story by Sandra McDonald (3/2/2010) - Here’s a post apocalyptic short story you might be interested in. I found it via Boing Boing, it can be read online here.Here a bit of an intro from the site: Seems like we’re all a little culturally obsessed with impending apocalypse at the moment; a minor flurry of end-of-the-world tales a few years back […]
- Post Apocalyptic Illustrations of Steve McGhee (2/21/2010) - I found this via Metafilter – check out the Post Apocalyptic Illustrations of Steve McGhee. Found via http://vectroave.com/2009/11/illustrations-by-steve-mcghee/
- Post Apocalyptic Pin-up Girls – Road Warrior Weekend Party (2/16/2010) - Here are some ‘pin up’ girls from the Road Warrior Weekend held in California November 20-22th 2009. The Road Warrior Weekend is a massive tribute and revelry celebrating the Road Warrior Film and Post Apocalyptic Chaos. Here are some links: http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/mad-max-babes-and-bikes-28840012/ http://www.laweekly.com/slideshow/view/28836900 https://vonnagy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/RWWERebelRodz.jpg
- Survival Kit for surviving the Wilderness (and possibly the apocalypse) (2/15/2010) - I was looking around for some info on survival kits. This video does a pretty good at explaining what you need to survive the wilderness. Though its not generally for a cataclysm, it certainly isn’t a bad start!
- Lady Wasteland – A Post Apocalyptic Webisodes (2/15/2010) - From Lady Wasteland‘s Facebook Page: This is the adventure of Lady Wasteland. A story rooted in the misfortune of individuals left to scour a vast wasteland in search of their own private destiny. Each character: a fragment, a survivor, a wanderer. In a god-forsaken landscape after the collapse of civilized society, we find a generation […]
- Post Apocalyptic Andy Rooney (2/15/2010) - This is not so funny when you don’t know the American 60minutes presenter Andy Rooney, but this spoof of him by Jimmy Fallon might be worth a half smile for those that do know him.
- Post Apocalyptic Party in Massachusetts (2/15/2010) - If you want party Post Apocalyptic style check out the “Radioactive Bodega” in Pittsfield Western Massachusetts in the USA. The gala, which has a different theme each year, has a post-apocalyptic “Radioactive Bodega” theme this year. The party organizers have described the attire as “Mad Max a la Mexicano,” with emphasis on combat boots, oversized […]
- Gold and Silver in the Apocalypse (1/15/2010) - If you haven’t read this post already, today’s fiat money will be worthless during the apocalypse (most say that its worthless now anyway. The blogger slams gold and silver as being worthless; here are Survive the Apocalypse‘s top forms of currency: Ammunition Gasoline Cigarettes Spices Antibiotics Seeds Knowledge So will gold and silver worthless during […]