The Kraxn Blog
art, music, and tech.
A Kraxn is Viennese slang for an old jalopy, junker, or rattletrap. As a young lad, my grandmother regularly used this word to describe her vehicle. Eventually we developed own our vernacular, and Kraxn became synonymous for any old but useful tool. Amongst those I am close to, I still use this term – so its only fitting that kraxn become the name of this blog.
Likewise, blogs are now crusty old tech that are rapidly replaced by various aspects of social media. These platforms have wrapped their tentacles around our attention. They enslave many to put on their best public face, reverberate inside others echo chambers, or force them into using unwanted/unwarranted technology. A blog, though an older technology, can give users an anonymous voice and control over technology.
Kraxn.io was a blog I kept from late 2018 to early 2020. This includes my art (for example, Sketch-A-Day), music samples, a little bit of technical writing, as well as thoughts on existence. I originally wanted to keep it anonymous, but know I am fine with this blog being associated to vonnagy.com now. Because I used this for Sketch-A-Day, it also showcases my best blogging effort – blogging consecutively or one year!
For more technical details, I used textpattern for the first iteration of this blog, and luapress for the second iteration before importing everything here into wordpress. There is much to be said about both systems, I am only begrudgingly going back to wordpress now. Textpattern is a very minimal blogging system; it still uses a mysql database, but everything else is ‘hackable’ in the best sense of the word. It doesn’t have as many plugins as as wordpress, however, you’ll be doing your own tweaks to everything (but this can be fun). Its actively maintained and has a decent community.
On the other end, Luapress is a dynamic website generator. You essential write your blog post in markdown. Its great for writing – but a little more daunting if you want to use media (photo galleries are a bit of a pain). It is fast, simple, stable, and so long as you are focused on writing, its a great tool. Unfortunately, its no longer being maintained, so though it is stable, you’ll have to hack your way through the source code to get things done your way. I also used luapress on my asylon.org website.
So this will be the final home of Kraxn.io – here are the complete posts from my blog from 20 August 2018 – 03 April, 2020:
- Sketch of the day theme: popcorn (12/1/2019) - Gryllus frustrum, native to Papua New Guinea, is known for its yellow, asymmetrical, chitinous outgrowths. Better known as the popcorn cricket, it unfortunately does not have the same flavour as its namesake snack.
- Sketch of the day theme: reflect (11/30/2019) - Die Narzissenfische und die Spiegelquallen.
- Sketch of the day theme: yoga (11/29/2019) - Naturebot loves yoga. pencil.
- Sketch of the day theme: care (11/28/2019) - Despite his reputation for having a devil-may-care attitude, Satan was often crippled by anxiety.
- Sketch of the day theme: hut (11/27/2019) - It start off as wordplay between the German words Hut and Hütte, but later morphed into the B-52’s love shack.
- Changing BIOS on LG Gram Laptops : Phoenix SecureCore Technology Setup (11/27/2019) - I am running a dual boot system of (Windows 10 and Linux Mint on my LG Gram Laptop), part of my obstacle was that the BIOS from LG threw me off course a bit. Here are some tips to help you with LG Gram Specific BIOS menus. Specifically I had 2 issues: I couldn’t find […]
- Sketch of the day theme: ivy (11/26/2019) - This is the swamp thing on an IV drip of ivy.
- Sketch of the day theme: store (11/25/2019) - The robust-rumped mandrill has massive fat stores in hind quarters. Scientist believe it provides provides comfort for sitting as well as a means of locomotion: the inventors of the pogo-ball were inspired this old world monkey.
- Package phpmyadmin is not available, but is referred to by another package (11/25/2019) - Package phpmyadmin is not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source If you’ve come across this, some research shows: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1184802/phpmyadmin-has-no-installation-candidate : Currently there’s no phpmyadmin package in the Ubuntu 19.10 repositories. As you may know, Ubuntu […]
- Black Angel (1980 short film) – Where’s the bagel? (11/25/2019) - Black Angel – a cult film from the 80’s has some hilarious subtitles on youtube. “Where’s the Maiden” get’s translated “Where’s the bagel?” Here is the link, just put the captions on: Black Angel Captions
- Virtualmin Email Setup Hints and Tips (11/25/2019) - I’ve recently worked on setting up virtualmin email accounts as an alternative to setting up my own mail server. Because I manage a few sites, I’ve decided to go use this instead of setting up an individual server such as mail-in-a-box. For the record, I think Mail in a Box is a great idea, just […]
- Sketch of the day theme: film (11/24/2019) - After developing his grandfather’s unexposed 126 film from the 70’s Joseph regrettably found lurid photos of a bigfoot and a canada goose.
- Sketch of the day theme: board (11/23/2019) - when the window of opportunity gets boarded up. its the best I can do today.
- Sketch of the day theme: antarctic (11/22/2019) - Hamish was delighted at the shape of his fried egg after spending his first night at McMurdo Station
- Sketch of the day theme: mirror (11/21/2019) - Lookin’ good flippa: Dolphins pass the mirror test
- Sketch of the day theme: victorian (11/20/2019) - Victorian cat has swagger.
- Sketch of the day theme: refresh (11/19/2019) - After 17 years underground, the cicada flies away refreshed.
- Sketch of the day theme: charity (11/18/2019) - 17 Nov, 2095: The last act of human charity occurred when Pedro offered Bob his last cigarette just seconds before the apocalypse.
- Sketch of the day theme: smoke (11/17/2019) - another quick sketch, this time for smoke. pencil.
- Sketch of the day theme: garland (11/16/2019) - not much time for sketching today, but here’s a garland connoisseur.
- Sketch of the day theme: strike (11/15/2019) - Apologies for the lowbrowness, this is a from a meme called 1 strike, two balls.
- Sketch of the day theme: bundle (11/14/2019) - The Glassjowled Pufferfish will bundle its young in its mouth when in danger, causing it to swell 10x its size.
- Sketch of the day theme: gate (11/13/2019) - only a 5 minute sketch today, from reference.
- Sketch of the day theme: read (11/12/2019) - Mary Maple, agitated by entitled book readers resting against her trunk, retaliated by leaning back.
- Sketch of the day theme: relax (11/11/2019) - hummingbird relaxation. reference used.
- Sketch of the day theme: hospital (11/10/2019) - Insect hospital doodle.
- Sketch of the day theme: band (11/9/2019) - A one man band. Pencil.
- Sketch of the day theme: test (11/8/2019) - sadly no time to finish, please add colours from your imagination. From the Electric Kool-Aid Acid test.
- Sketch of the Day theme: celebration (11/7/2019) - Walla Walla, 1978. Alvin Dreistein ends his dubious record of 49 straight strikeouts in spectacular fashion: Game 7, Little League world series, 9th inning, tied game, based loaded. On a 3-2 count, the opposing pitcher hits Alvin in the face, bringing the winning run home. Alvin and his teammates celebrated his stroke of good fortune.
- Sketch of the Day theme: rural (11/6/2019) - Honesty boxes seem to be a rural phenomenon. I saw something like this in Queensland.
- Sketch of the Day theme: tennis (11/5/2019) - Although coolly nonchalant about his skills, Marc Chagall was an excellent tennis player.
- Sketch of the Day theme: bamboo (11/4/2019) - A bamboo motorbike powered by sunshine, love, and the tears of Jeremy Clarkson. A bamboo motorbike powered by sunshine, love, and the tears of Jeremy Clarkson.
- Sketch of the Day theme: sugar (11/3/2019) - Really pressed for time today, it was supposed to be a squirrel with a donut, but looks more like a chinchilla with a bagel
- Sketch of the Day theme: music (11/2/2019) - Kraxn’s Musical Beans – there’s a concert in every can! Learn music the fun way! No musical talent required! Collect the entire range! Leave your audience gasping for breath!
- Sketch of the Day theme: match (11/1/2019) - At the end of everyday, Elle struck a match and softly blew it out. She silently took in the billowing smoke, and reminded herself there will never be a day like the one that had just passed. Charcoal.